Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Pot Meet Kettle

From the LA Times through Boing Boing via Instapundit we have cruel, cruel irony:

Left over old hippies in Haight Ashbury are complaining about the unwashed nouveau hippies in their neighborhoods, being rude, useless, high on drugs and lowering property values and otherwise being a bunch of oxygen thieves.

(Arthur) Evans, 64, says (the punks) should get help, clean up or go home...

"I used to be a hippie. I wore beads and grew my hair long," he said. "But my generation had something these kids do not: a standard of civilized behavior...."

"I'm sick of stepping over gangs of kids, only to be told 'Die, yuppie!' A lot of us were flower children, but we grew up," said Robert Shadoian, 58, a retired family therapist. "There are responsibilities in this world you have to meet. You can't be drugged out 24/7 and expect the world to take care of you."

(Carolyn) Mckenna said she was tired of being criticized for the "crime" of owning a home. "Haight-Ashbury is not synonymous with anarchy," she said. "It's not fair to homeowners with their entire net worth tied up here. I'd be disingenuous if I said I wasn't worried about property values.

No comments: