Sunday, February 11, 2007

Agonizing Dilemma

Defensive use of firearms gets little publicity in the MainStream Media. For those that pay attention to incidents of this nature that are reported or hear the background involved there is a compelling reason to move to a larger caliber round from my current CZ-75 in 9x19mm.

This is why I face an agonizing dillema; whether to purchase a SigArms P220 or a Glock 21 in .45ACP.

I am not considering a 1911 style weapon due to the price required for reliability that I can find for less elsewhere.

There are P220's available in a barely used state for $550 but a new Glock 21 with two magazines is ony $500.

Either weapon would be an excellent additional to the defense of home and hearth.

I have always liked Sig products. Wonderful fit and finish, yet they are pricey devils.




Glock products have proven themselves incredibly reliable and robust with the added benefit of my not despairing over holster wear which would be very evident on the Sig products.

There is also the added benefit of having 13 rounds in each magazine compared to the seven or eight in the "plus one" magazines of the SigArms P220. While I do not foresee needing the additional six rounds when using .45ACP, indeed the legendary stopping power of this round is what it would be the reason behind the purchase, it would be comforting to have it there if the situation called for it.

This is not to say that I have been dissatisfied with the performance or value of the CZ products I have owned. Indeed I would have no qualms about purchasing an additional CZ-75 or CZ-85 should a good buy present itself.



I do not doubt that the CZ-97, the .45ACP upsized version of the CZ-75 family, would perform more than adequately in the home defense role.

No comments: