Sunday, April 30, 2006

Pleasant Buzzin'

In my self designated role as practical expert on the imbibement of India Pale Ale type beers I have again pushed it to the edge of the performance envelope.

Today I tested Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA.

You will note I previously tested the 120 Minute IPA by Dog Fish Head. Its character can best be described as similar to the previous visit toBaghdad by Mongolian troops, that is five hundred years ago they laid it totally to waste. Twenty percent alcohol, sweet but not too malty flavor and in my opinion the bitterness was overwhelmed by the sugary taste.


Not so the 60 Minute IPA.

This brew achieved a balance not made by the more highly hopped 90 and 120 Minute IPA's.

While not hoppy enough to delight my palate it was a very craftsmanlike effort, rather like Arrogant Bastard Ale but without the malty aftertaste.

Certainly worth the attention of an IPA afficianado.

Following up the 60 Minute IPA brew we had a balanced effort in the form of Ale Smith's IPA.




Not as hoppy as I would prefer but a fine balance between citrus hop flavor and solid Ale flavor.

Definitely an eight on a ten point scale.

No comments: