Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Amazing Tenor: Enrico Caruso

Enrico Caruso was a phenomenon in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century.

His amazing voice was among the first heard throughout the world on commercial recordings in the form of 78rpm records.

Indeed he was the first to sell a million records and unlike today's overhyped pop stars he did so in 1902 without the saturation of today's mass media.

He had a repertoire of 500 songs. In and of itself an amazing achievement.

While Enrico Caruso was a star of the Opera he did not shun popular works, among these the folk songs of his native Italy and many popular American tunes such as Over There.

While I enjoy Opera and the popular works of the Three Tenors (Luciano Pavoratti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras)I am always drawn back to the first superstar Enrico Caruso.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Lovely to hear what you said about Caruso. I adore him and although I have heard my a tenor he still is my ideal when it comes to a tenor voice. I wrote a blog called phonographically yours and would love to have you read it.

best wishes to you