Monday, October 24, 2005

Hypocrite!

I am a hypocrite.

I have advocated not purchasing products from totalitarian regimes in several of my posts.

I have espoused that ideal to my peers.

I then knowingly smoked a Cuban cigar.

It was a gift from a family member. A thank you for an earlier kindness I showed them during a difficult time.

I could not refuse the gift.

This would have offended a respected family member.

But I did not have to enjoy it.

I did.

My actions were tantamount to supporting a totalitarian state ran by a despot. Granted my dollars were not spent on these products of the serfs subjugated to tyranny.

But indirectly my smoking that cigar created a market for their products earning that foul regime economic support, propping up their ailing government allowing them to continue abusing their people.

I am a hypocrite.

I will endeavour to stick to my principles in the future.

No comments: